I am regularly asked for recommendations on different tools, training, resources and services available to blogging. People particularly want to know what tools I use to run my blogs.
As a result I’ve put together a list of recommended blogging resources that I’ve either personally used (in most cases) or which have come highly recommended to me by people I trust.
I will add to these lists as I come across new blogging resources that I recommend.
- WordPress.org – this is my blog platform of choice and the platform that ProBlogger and many other blogs run on.
- WordPress.com – a free hosted blogging platform
- MovableType – used by many top blogs
- TypePad – another hosted option
- Blogger – another free hosted option – owned by Google
Recommended Reading – Choosing a Blog Platform
- Thesis – a professionally designed WordPress blog theme with many configuration options.
- Citrus – another fresh WordPress theme with some great features.
- Woo Themes – a talented team of designers with some excellent themes of different styles.
- BlogMastermind – a six month training and mentoring program for bloggers wanting to learn how to blog successfully and profitably. Run by fellow Aussie, Yaro Starak.
- SEO Book – learn how to optimize your blog for search engines – a fantastic SEO training program and community site.
- Essential Books for Bloggers – a list of books that I and others have recommended for bloggers.
- ProBlogger the Book
- 31 Days to Build a Better Blog
- WPBeginner – a resource for new WordPress users.
Recommended Reading – Blogging for Beginners
- AdSense – Googles Ad network – one of the most used monetization strategies for bloggers.
- Chitika – one of my highest earners, a widget type ad that converts well on product related sites.
- WidgetBucks – another popular widget type ad.
- Shopzilla – yet another great widget based ad network
- ShoppingAds – draws ads in from eBay.
- Amazon Associates – make money recommending products from the biggest online store.
- Pepperjam – an affiliate network with a growing list of products to recommend.
- BidVertiser – another ad network popular with many bloggers.
Recommended Reading – How I make Money Blogging
Other Blog Tools
- Feedburner – a great tool for managing your RSS feeds
- AWeber – a newsletter management tool that I used on all my blogs
- Get Response – another newsletter/autoresponder service that many bloggers use and recommend – very reliable with some great features.
- Google Analytics – a great free metrics/statistics program
- Google Reader – how I read RSS feeds
- Akismet – comment spam filtering tool
For a long list of other recommended blogging resources check out my A-Z of Professional Blogging Tools.