Successful bloggers have to keep their heads around many different aspects of the medium – but at it’s core is being able to write compelling and engaging content on a consistent basis over time.
How you do this will vary from blogger to blogger to some extent as each blogger has their own style – however there are some basic principles of writing great blog content that might be worth keeping in mind.
Here are a few of the lessons I’ve learned on the topic over the years:
Where to Start
How to Craft a Blog Post - This is a series of posts that walk bloggers through a variety of points on blog writing that can make a good post great.
- Make Your Writing Scannable – one of the most important tips for online writing
- How Long Should a Blog Post Be? – another common question about writing posts
- Using Titles Effectively on Blogs – one of the most important elements of a blog post is it’s title – here’s why they are important and how to write them
- Marinating Ideas into Blog Posts – My Posting Workflow – how I work up an idea into a post
- How Often Should a Blogger Post - considerations when thinking about posting frequency
- How to Write a Successful Series on Your Blog – 10 steps that I use for writing a series of posts on my blogs
- Why Guest Posts are Great for a Blog - the start of a series of post son guest blogging
- Declaring War on Blog Apathy – once you’ve been blogging for a while it’s easy to lose motivation and let it slip. This article is all about how to keep your blog moving forward.
- 7 Days to Rediscovering Your Blogging Groove – a simple way to find things to write about on your blog over 7 days
- 20 Types of Blog Posts – part of my Battling Bloggers Block series
Principles of Successful Content Creation
- How to Eliminate the Echo Chamber and Add to the Conversation – make your blog stand out from the crowd, say something original and grow your blog
- The 4 Pillars of Writing Exceptional Blogs – how to write great content for your blog
- Writing Good Content – the two basic elements of good blog content – usefulness and uniqueness
- How to Write Excellent Blog Content - a post looking back on what we wish we knew about writing great blog content
- How to Make Your RSS Feeds POP! – a series on how to develop a compelling RSS feed, how to grow your RSS readership and how to get RSS readers visiting your actual blog