Two good posts leapt from my RSS feed at me this morning that I think complement one another quite well.
Wendy writes – How I Grew My Blogging Profits While My Traffic Numbers Went Down and identifies 6 key lessons:
- I have truly learned the value of a targeted visitor.
- I have never been more grateful for the power of networking.
- There’s nothing more discouraging than your first year of trying to make money online.
- The Long Tail is your secret to success.
- It takes a hell of a lot of people skills to make money on the internet from home.
- There is no one-size-fits-all formula for internet marketing success.
Maki writes –and suggests five main ways:
- Make an Effort to Use Affiliate Links Regularly
- Develop and Display a List of Recommended Websites/Products
- Focus on Conversion: Optimize your Existing Ad Placement
- Diversify Your Income: Try New Monetization Tactics
- Leverage Your Blog to Promote Your Services or Business
I think that between them Maki and Wendy have put together some very worthwhile principles. Neither of them are saying that less traffic is necessarily a good thing – but it need not mean less money. In fact I’ve experienced the same thing of late on one of my blogs which has had a seasonal slump in traffic. The decreased traffic did mean a slow down in income but inspired me to do some tweaking of the advertising on it’s main pages – the result is higher conversion of the ads (stay tuned for more on ad optimization in tomorrow’s task for the 31 Day Challenge).