Yesterday I talked about Why Email Newsletters might be a good companion tool for a blog – today I want to get a bit more practical and talk about how to use them. As I’ve researched the topic I’ve realized that this could be quite a long series of posts in itself but have decided to pull all the tips together here. I will follow this post up tomorrow with one last one with suggestions of tools that you might want to use in putting an email newsletter together.
So in putting together an email newsletter you probably want to consider some of the following:
Define the Purpose of your Newsletter – As with any tool it is important to know what you wish to achieve with it before setting out to use it. I mentioned yesterday that newsletters can have many benefits, some of which you’ll be aiming towards, others of which won’t suit your overall blogging strategy. So sit down and work out what you want to get our of your newsletter. For example you may wish it to:
- Drive Traffic to your Blog
- Generate your own Sales or Consulting Leads
- Generate advertising revenue
- Be a direct income maker through affiliate programs
- Generate a subscription revenue (ie charge for the newsletter)
- Create community among your readers
- Make announcements about you and your blog
- Build your personal profile
- Upsell Readers
Or maybe there is some other objective or a combination of the above. Whatever it is it’s important to define what success means for your email newsletter (nb: your email newsletter strategy should probably emerge from your overall strategy for your blogging).