In today’s episode of the ProBlogger Podcast, I discuss the behind-the-scenes view of our latest product launch, which made $US120,000.
On my main blog, Digital Photography School, we have more than 30 products, and the Lightroom Presets Pack was our most recent. Today I go through the complete life cycle of the product, from how we came up with the idea, how we marketed it, how we launched it, and how it went.
I also describe how I learned about great marketing and launch strategies, and also what kind of things my audience would respond to by first promoting someone else’s product as an affiliate. Not only do you get to see for yourself the strategies other people are using to sell a similar product, but you can also gauge the reaction of your own readers to things like price points, email frequency, and interest in the product.
Today I discuss:
- how long our Lightroom Presets Pack took to produce (and how we go about deciding what to produce in general),
- our marketing system, how it works (and how this particular system was slightly different),
- how we launch,
- how we priced the product,
- the discount we gave and why,
- the competition we incorporated into the launch,
- what kind of email campaign we usually run, and how we deal with it if the campaign isn’t working well, or if it is successful and needs extra time,
- how often we send emails,
- what was in the emails
I also talk about how we promoted this sale outside our email list – on the blog, on social media, etc , and how well that worked.
Of course it’s not always enough to retire on the launch success alone, so I also include our plans to continue sales after this initial run, how we incentivise affiliates to sell, what happens when affiliate sales aren’t as strong as we hoped, and what percentage they each make per sale.
I would love to hear your feedback on this process – what do you differently? what do you similarly? what kind of products do you have in development at the moment? feel free to leave a comment here, on the show notes, or on Twitter – I’m @problogger.
- What to Do BEFORE You Launch A Product On Your Blog
- Six Secrets to Six-Figure Product Launches with Jeff Goins
- How Our eBook Launches Have Evolved (after 235,000 eBook Sales)
- Creating Products Week: Before You Even Think About Creating Products, Think About This
- Creating Products Week: Which Product Should I Create?
- Creating Product Week: How to Create and Sell Products On Your Blog