“How relevant is blogging for today in a world of so many types of social media?”
I must hear this question – or a variation of it – at least once a week. So I thought I’d open it up for some discussion to the wider ProBlogger community.
What do you think?
My feeling is that blogging is a very relevant option for developing a web presence but as the question states – there are other legitimate options too.
Each option has their own pros and cons and depending upon your goals and your resources (including how much time you have) you may choose to do all of the options available or just choose some.
Why I Think Blogging is Relevant
A few of the main arguments why I keep blogging as opposed to just using social media include:
- if self host your blog and use a blogging platform like WordPress.org you retain full control over your blog and what it looks like, how you monetize it and what kind of content you can put on it
- a blog allows you a lot of freedom in terms of length of posts (as opposed to Twitter/Facebook which limit length) and the design of your posts (i.e. inserting images, sub heading, bolding etc (G+ does give you some of this control) etc
- As long as you maintain it and pay for your hosting your blog can stay up forever and is not there as long as the social network may operate or be a relevant medium for people
- For me a blog is a place that I archive and showcase my best longer form and meaty stuff – social is an important place for researching what I write, sharing it and building community with my readers
- Much of what is shared and discussed on social media is links to longer form content – I want to be a creator of that
- In my experience it is easier to monetize and make sustainable a business based upon a blog over a social media account
Note: there will always be exceptions to the above. For instance G+ does give you some formatting options, I do know some people who monetize social media well etc – but in general I think the above stands up well.
Note 2: I’m certainly not arguing blogging is the only way or that you need to choose between blogging and social media. I use both but if I had to choose just one (which none of us have to) I’d choose blogging.
Why Others Think Blogging is Relevant
When I asked on my Twitter account yesterday for why my followers blog when they could use social media I got some great responses along these lines like:
I call it “share the message own the destination” – from Gavin Heaton
because sometimes thoughts should be developed beyond 140 characters or less – from James Woods
most of the value I get reading anything online still comes from longer format – from Reuben
I blog because it gives my voice and content a home. #SM platforms can delete anything I say if they so choose. – from Jessica Cue
Because the content is owned by me, not subject to the fine print of the legal text of a socmed service. – Scott Fitzgerald
I SM to support my blog, I like the fact my blog space is my own to be me in. SM has it’s own rules depending on platform. – by Jessie Reid
Add Your Thoughts
The above thoughts (both mine and others) are just scratching the surface of this topic – I’d love to get your perspective on the relevancy of blogging for today in comments below!