In the last week, Automattic (the team behind WordPress) released a nice little WordPress plugin bundle called Jetpack, which gives your self-hosted WordPress.org blog some of the functionality that was previously only available in the hosted WordPress.com-type blogs.
This won’t appeal to all bloggers—especially not those who have been at it for a while and who have researched and installed a wide range of plugins to customize their blogs—but for some it’ll be a great addition to their WP.org blog.
Jetpack aims to give “feature parity” to both types of WordPress blogs, and includes the following features:
- WordPress.com Stats – a metrics tool
- Twitter Widget – display latest updates from Twitter
- Gravatar Hovercards – show pop-up business cards of users’ Gravatar profiles
- WP.me Shortlinks – a permalink shortening tool
- Sharedaddy – a sharing tool (shares to Twitter, Facebook etc.)
- LaTeX – mark up your posts with LaTeX markup language
- After the Deadline – adds spell, style, and grammar checking to WP
- Shortcode Embeds – embeds videos easily
Again, many of you will probably have other plugins that do some of this, but for those looking for an easy install to cover all of these plugins, Jetpackcould be a good option. It also looks like other plugins will be added soon.
Further reading: Read the Jetpack launch post.