We are right in the middle of the ‘silly season’ when it comes to shopping for Christmas and as a result as bloggers wanting to make a little extra money from our blogs at the moment we are presented with a unique time of the year – many of our readers are in the mood for buying.
Here’s a very simple way to put yourself in a position to capitalize upon this and to earn a few extra dollars via the Amazon Affiliate program.
Get your readers into the Amazon Store – just get them in the door.
If there’s a time of the year to earn some commissions via the Amazon affiliate program – it is now.
Let me illustrate why it is important to get people in the door at Amazon.
Two days ago I posted about the new Huffington Post Blogging Book that has just been released. In that post I linked to the book on Amazon using a tracking id that enables me to see what people buy as a result of visiting Amazon with that link (#’s indicate how many were purchased).
- Calvin Klein Men’s Body Stretch Low Rise Trunk
- Duofold Men’s Polypropylene Mid Weight Single-Layer Thermal Tagless Bottom
- Vote For Pedro – Premium Quality Cotton T-Shirt
- Gilding Lily
- Moleskine Ruled Cahier Journal Kraft Large: set of 3 Ruled Journals
- ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income (2)The Color of Magic: A Discworld Novel
- The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging (15)
- The Well-Fed Self-Publisher: How to Turn One Book into a Full-Time Living
- WordPress For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (2)
- Kindle eBooks – The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging (2)
- Acer Aspire One 8.9-inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) Sapphire Blue” (Acer)
- Apple iPod classic 120 GB Black (6th Generation)” (Apple Computer)
When you refer someone to Amazon (an online store with established trust and brand that most people are familiar with) you earn a commission on anything that they buy within a 24 hours period after visiting from your link.
You can see above that the greatest number of people bought the book I referred to – but the biggest items with larger commissions were on other items.
Of course you don’t want to just lace all your posts with random and irrelevant links to products on Amazon – relevancy and useful links for your readers is key – but once you get people in the door you never quite know what they might end up buying (and earning you).