There has been ALOT of talk around the blogosphere about blog networks lately – ALOT!
Some of it is as a result of the closing of the Know More Media blog network, some of it as a result of AOL and Gawker making changes to the way their networks pay bloggers and some of it is…. well…. just because every six or so months there seems to be talk about blog networks.
Today one of my co-founders in b5media (and our CEO) Jeremy Wright put together a post that I think picks up a lot of the themes and casts some light on what it’s like to run a blog network. Effectively Jeremy has written 6 posts in one (I really have to teach this guy about writing a series of posts :-) )and covers:
- A summary of some of the talk going on around the blogosphere on the topic with some great links
- 10 Reasons Managing Bloggers (and Blog Ads) Is Harder Than Your Grandma’s Corns
- 3 Simple Tips for Starting a Blog Network
- Thoughts on Starting a Blog Alliance
- 3 Tips for Starting a Blog Ad Network
- Final Tip(s) for Success for Everyone
Depending upon where you’re at in your own development of blogging I think there’s something in this post for everyone. Read it here.
Jeremy’s reasons why managing bloggers and blog ads is hard will be particularly insightful for those starting out with networks because I often come across bloggers who think blog networks an easy way to make money – you simply just hire extra writers and slap more ads on the blogs right? Ummm…. time for a reality check – my experience of blog networks is that while you can potentially multiple your income with more blogs you also multiple the headaches, challenges, problems and risks.
Jeremy’s tips for those starting out are also useful.
A few posts from my archives that might be useful for bloggers wanting to start or join blog networks:
- A Strategy for Building Niche Focused Blog Networks (if I were starting again today it’d be with this approach. While I fully believe in the model b5 is pursuing (we’ve gone wide with lots of niches) it is a lot harder to do this now and presents a lot of challenges)
- Why Should You Join a Blog Network
- Why You Shouldn’t Join a Blog Network
- How to Launch a Blog Network