HaraldJohnsen asks “As a quality control, what are the most important questions to ask before hitting ‘submit’ / posting a blog post?”
Great question Harald – I actually think that most of us as bloggers could improve many of our posts by pausing before hitting ‘submit/publish’ and asking a few basic questions about the post. Here are a few questions that I ask myself:
- Does this post give something useful and unique to my readers?
- Will it enhance their lives in some way or is it ‘fluff’?
- Is the spelling correct?
- Does the post make sense grammatically?
- What could I cut out of the post to make it more concise?
- How could I make the post easier to ‘scan’ for readers (headings, formatting, images etc)?
- Is the title engaging? Does it draw people into the post?
- Could I give this post a little more time before publishing to ‘mature’? Would coming back to it tomorrow help me to add depth to it?
- Have I written on this topic before and can I link to it?
I only had 3 minutes to write this post as part of my SpeedPosting series – so I’m interested to hear what questions you’d add to the list?
Update: Just before publishing this post I thought I’d take my own advice and search my archives to see what I’ve written on the topic before and found 13 Questions to Ask Before Publishing a Post on Your Blog which has even more questions to ask.