45n5 has a post that has got me thinking – Are You An Ungrateful Link Getter?
In it Mark asks his readers whether they say thanks when another blogger links up to them. He also wonders out loud how a blogger who gets quite a few links each day copes with it.
I left a number of comments over at his post so I won’t regurgitate them all – but here’s a few of the main thoughts that come to mind for me:
- saying thanks with a comment on the post that you get the link on can be really worthwhile
- realistically it can be difficult to do when you do get quite a few links each day
- commenting with more than ‘thanks for the link’ is worthwhile to do. Add to the conversation in some way.
- commenting not only on the post that linked to you but other recent posts can also have an impact and grow the relationship
- returning a day later to see if the blogger has responded to your comment is extra good
- emailing the blogger to say a more personal thank you can also have an impact
- all of these suggestions can make it even more time consuming and difficult to keep track of – however it can be worth it
- I fail dismally on all of the above. I try to keep track of incoming links and be grateful – however it could become a full time job in itself
Do you say thank you for links? How do you do it? Head over to 45n5 to have your say.