2006 was a massive year for me both on a personal level but also on a blogging front.
I became a Dad in July, V and I took a couple of interstate trips, I travelled to Canada, I started a new blog and forum at Digital Photography School, b5media went to a new level after securing investment (and had lots of highs and lows along the way), I met and got t know a lot of great new bloggers… and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Here at ProBlogger it has been another busy year of posting with 1242 new posts going up on the blog (including this one), around 1.6 million visitors and 3.7 million page views (estimates – I lost my stats when changing servers), many thousands of comments, surviving being hacked, starting job boards and more.
Today I spent a few hours surfing through the last year’s archives reflecting upon the year that was. I try to do this type of review on each of my blogs both out of interest but also to analyze what did and didn’t work over the year so that I can improve for future years.
I looked at a lot of stats today but also made a list of blog posts that were successful (both on a comments/discussion level and on a traffic level). Here is a summary of the year that was with a short description of the month as well as a list of the most commented upon posts and other posts that did well in terms of traffic (or that I was proud of).
I hope you enjoy this trip back through the year of 2006 at ProBlogger.
Warning – Be warned there are a lot of links to follow (143) and it might just take you a good part of the next year to read them all – however for newer readers it might prove a useful way to catch up on what we’ve been up to.
122 Posts – The start of the year was a touch slow last year as I took a week off over the New Year break and left the blog with a few advance posts and some great guest posters but by mid January things were kicking along again with a little controversy to get things going.
Most Commented Upon Posts (# of comments)
- My Technorati Problems (73)
- How Not to Launch a Blog – The Story of an Amateur Blogger (72)
- 7 Ways to Get to the Top of the del.icio.us Popular Page (71)
- Should ProBlogger Add Forums (70)
- 9 Ways to Screw Up Your Professional Blog
- Sub-Niche Blogging – Lesson’s from a Baker Named Tom
- Lessons from my Tomato Patch on Pruning ‘Sucker’ Blogs
- Becoming a ProBlogger – A Story in Many Parts
- What to Do when Your Blog is Attacked
- Should Bloggers Write for Humans or Computers?
- Why I don’t use Free Articles on my Blogs
144 posts – This month was where I ran the Blogging for Beginners series of posts. It was one of the most exciting months of blogging I’ve had as I got back to basics. Traffic went up, reader interaction was great and the posts in the series remain some of the most popular posts on the blog to this day.
Most Commented Upon Posts
- Blogging for Beginners (129)
- What’s Wrong with Blogging? Part 2 (63)
- Designer AdSense Ads (52)
- Blog Stalkers – Personal Safety for Bloggers (59)
- 19 (More) Strategies for Finding Readers (52)
- Choosing a Blog Platform (48)
- Selling Text Links
- How to Measure a Blog’s Success?
- Another Day in the Life of a ProBlogger
- Making Money from Your Blog – Direct Methods
- Making Money from Your Blog – Indirect Methods