Over at the Blogathon last week the guys at Inside Blogging generously commissioned me to come up with a list of as many ‘Business Blogs‘ as I could find. I thought I’d post the list here also as its relevant to this blog. See below the list for my struggle to define ‘business blog’ which will partially explain the odd collection I’ve assembled here so far which includes numerous businesses that blog but also a few blogs about business (if you get my distinction. I’ve tried to keep the more pure ones (ie businesses that blog) in the top end of the list.
- Northfield Construction Company – Northfield Construction Company’s blog for news and updates.
- Wool Winders – a great blog of a Knitting Salon.
- Signs never sleep – Lincoln Sign Company’s blog.
- The tinbasher blog – a company blog to help customers learn more about Planters Direct and its parent company Butler Sheetmetal.
- Rococo – the blog of Rococo Software.
- Nooked – the blog of Nooked, a service helping companies with their RSS feeds.
- Conference Calls Unlimited blog.
- Stonyfield farm blog – another great example of a business using a blog – Stonyfield farm.
- GM Blog – the much publicized ‘Fastlane’ blog from GM.
- Cape Science Weblog – the blog of Cape Science, a Web Services Developer Community.
- BizNet Travel’s Blog.
- Ofoto Blog – the blog of Ofoto – a service of Kodak.
- Air Conditioning Contrators of America – the blog of an association of Air Con Contractors.
- Boeing’s new blog – the blog of Randy Beler – Vice President for marketing at Boeing.
- Ford Mustang Blog – a group blog with contributions from various Ford employees.
- Jewel Boxing – a blog documenting the process of starting an online business (Jewel Boxing) from scratch.
- American Marketing Association – another association blog.
- Capulet Communications – A weblog about professional communication from Capulet Communications.
- Security Awareness a blog for Winn Schwartau’s Security Awareness Company.
- RealBlog – Blog of Tom Hanna – Real Estate Agent.
- Ohio University Library – the Business Blog of a library.
- File on Business Blog – Blog of File on Business Solutions.
- Bplans Blog – a blog on business plans by a business planning software company: Palo Alto Software.
- 800-CEO-READ – blog of book supplier – 800-CEO-READ.
- Trademark Blog – a blog from the law offices of Schwimmer and Associates.
- Big Blog Company – a company blog of a blogging company.
- About Product Weblogs
- Skybox by Maytag
- Prospect Research Blog
- Perception Analyzer
- trade show industry
- Shared Space
- Cool Business Ideas
- Trader Mike
- The Barter Blog
- Real lawyers have blogs
Additions to the list:
- Cudgeland – A blog about Weddings and party-planning from the folks at Cudge (suggested by Mark).
- Paper-Source – with 5 staff blogs (suggested by Mark).
- Benjamin Christie – Australian Chef Consultant
- Vic Cherikoff’s Blog – of Vic Cherikoff Food Services and Dining Downunder
- Atomic Books
- Blog Kits Corporate Blog
- Innovation Tools
- English Cut – an English Tailor’s Blog
Other Lists of Business/Corporate Blogs
- Corporate Blogging – European Corporate Blogs – this is actually another list of ‘corporate blogs’ from Europe which I figured I will list instead of listing each of the many blogs on it. Suggested by the globally minded Hans.
As i mentioned above – I struggled a little with the creation of this list (which I invite you to add to in comments below) because of the term ‘business blog’. How should we define it?
There are many ways one could answer this question. Broadly speaking it could be defined as any or all of the following:
1. a blog that has content on business topics (ie marketing, PR, advertising, real estate, law, finance etc)
2. a blog that has a direct income stream and that is a business in and of itself (ie through advertising or affiliate programs)
3. a blog that promotes a person and thereby opens up opportunities for them to earn an income in some indirect way (eg as a consultant, speaker etc)
4. a blog that is attached to a business either as a promotional/informational too or as a tool to enhance that business in some other way. It may not be an income earner in and of itself but it is a dynamic part of a business (eg an internal blog between staff or a customer service blog to keep clients up to date on progress of projects etc).
So which one is it – or is it all of the above – or something else….
I tend to define it more as the last point – businesses that blog (but am not too hard and fast on this). However having defined it this way I had a difficult time finding too many businesses engaged in blogging (apart from blog consultants, blog tool providers etc).
I could have linked to hundreds and hundreds of blogs from the first three categories (and have included a few) but finding blogs that were more attached to existing businesses were harder to find. I suspect this is partly because some of these blogs are internal and therefore private blogs, but I also wonder if despite all the talk and articles that are going around the blogosphere at the moment about business blogging whether there is actually a lack of working models already in place.
It is early days for business blogging but and I do see its potential but perhaps at the moment there is more ‘talk’ about business blogging than there is actual action. I’m sure this will change and I’m looking forward to seeing this list of business blogs grow. Feel free to submit your suggestions below in comments.